Putrajiva tree is especially used for treating female infertility. It improves female fertility and helps in conception. As the seeds of tree are especially used for treating female infertility this could be reason why this tree is called Putrajiva or Child life tree.
Medicinal Uses of Putrajiva
- Putra jivak tree is a medicinal tree. Its leaves, fruits and stone/seeds are used for medicinal purpose.
- The leaves of tree are refrigerant, analgesic, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory and used to treat fever, catarrh and sterility.
- The leaves are also used to treat allergic red pimples on the body.
- Decoction of leaves is used for treating cold, fever, and rheumatism. For swollen and inflamed joints, the leaves of tree are used externally.
- The crushed leaves are applied to swollen throat of animals.
- The seeds are sweet, acrid, refrigerant, laxative, anti-inflammatory, aphrodisiac, and diuretic.
- The seed paste is useful against headache and powdered seed used for knee pain.
- The seeds are also known as Putrajivak beej and are procreant. These are used to treat sterility, azoospermia, and habitual abortions.
- The other conditions in which seeds are useful are diseases due to vitiation of Vata and Pitta, burning sensation, constipation, inflammations, and infertility.
- Necklace prepared from stones/nuts of fruit are wore to prevent harm. Religiously, it is believed it ward of evil forces. Fruits as neckless are also used by pregnant women to prevent miscarriage.